07 February 2008

Just so you know:

Some of Super Tuesday's other revelations:

No on PROP 92: Giving $900 million to K-12 grades up to Community Colleges.
To be spread over 3 years this funding would drop tuition for CCSF to only $15/unit, instead of the current $20. Just two years ago each unit was as high as $26 which had been raised from $18/unit in 2003! I can't believe that CA didn't vote this PROP in. I am appalled and disappointed in this end result.

No on Prop 91
: Forces the Legislatures to spend GAS TAX to be spent only on transportation. Ultimately, I'll support any opportunity to give MUNI more funding.

Yes on Props 94-7: Supporting adding more gambling slots on Indian Reserves
As my aunt Julie said, 'I'll vote for anything that helps the Indians" but I think most of California voted YES because it would help THEM, and by default help the Indians as well. This is because a portion of the added revenue from these additional slot machines will be funneled into the CA economy. I'm in full support of the AM Indians, don't get me wrong, but upon taking a step back and viewing the cumulative results I can understand why certain props won and lost, but I don't have to like it.

I cannot believe that the only PROPs that passed were those that would result in more $ and all the props that promised to support state services were denied. Community Colleges and Public Transit will suffer from these results. Since I am a firm supporter and patron of both of these entities I am furious by the outcome. California residents do not see past their own personal pocket books. How much more money can we divert from CA schools? The world's 6th largest economy has one of the worst educational systems in the country, notice the imbalance? Supposedly people were consumed by the idea that CA is in a $14 billion deficit, however, the deficit would be cured if Schwarzeneggar would REinstate the car registration tax that he threw out when he entered office (the disposal of which got him into office*). The values and morals of this state (and country) need to be re-evaluated because education and public transportation shouldn't be looked at as luxuries but a necessity to CA's overall success and economic stability.

No comments: