18 April 2009

The Peoples Market.


My Geography 427, Food and Agriculture, professor took us to what he dubbed the "Peoples Market", aka, the Alemenay Farmers Market. I have to admit, it had been a while. He introduced us to a family of farmers who have been selling at the market since its debut in 1943. He pointed out the women who farms flowers, whom he shared a special connection with - they were both diagnosed with cancer four years ago, and have both successfully defeated it.

I carpooled with two of my classmates, and we arrived about thirty minutes before asked, 7:30am. Mad dedication on a Saturday morning. We roamed, purchased, tasted the offerings around. There were bakeries, pupusa and tamale stands, and even a Filipino food truck. My girl Sara and I befriended two farmers who invited us back to their farm, in Fresno.

Next up, Professor Hans will take us on a two day trip visiting farms throughout Northern California. I will also hook it up with some better dining tips for us city dwellers. Holler to the max!