30 September 2009

NEW SOUL

...who doesn't need one?!

I often work backwards - I speak what I feel, instead of what is best. I am an impulsive shopper, instead of trying things on. And finally, I found soul music by way of hip hop. Yes I said it. I discovered soul music from Puff Daddy covers. I knew something was up when my mom knew the lyrics. Come on = Juicy anyone? Mo' Money Mo' Problems? Can I get an amen up in here (hand up, waiting for a high five)...??

No matter the route, I found it, and it has been a rewarding journey through the musical yellow brick road. THe new venture lies within this new genre of neo-soul. A new crop of music is emerging, either by seasoned artists or the young buck. Here are my favorite acts in the new wave of souuuullll:


Raphael Saadiq.
An artist that gained his notoriety through acts like: Tony Toni Tone, Lucy Pearl, and his solo record: Instant Vintage, Saadiq is not only a Bay Area native, but an R&B genius. A class act, both on record, and in person. With his record The Way I See it, he successfully interpreted soul music into the present day. Listening to this record, if you close your eyes, you could be in the 60's. Beautiful.





Mayer Hawthorne

"Who the fuck is that?" Yes, I thought the same when I got the e-vite. But all in all, homeboy put on a dope, dope, show. He's on the Stonesthrow label, started by Peanut Butter Wolf, who also played at the MH show. Ultimately, a wonderful addition to my neo-soul playlist. And we have matching glasses.




Amy Winehouse

Girl, I know this bitch is crazy, and addicted, but for better or for worse, Wino has got the sound. Homegirl had to tweak her notes from the first album, but her sophomore was so slamin when it came out. To keep it real, Amy can sing, but her songs slap because of the Dap Kings. This band makes music that is sooo clean, so funky, and with so much souull.




Sharon Jones.

Speaking of the Dap Kings, probably the QUEEEEEEN BEE of neo-soul, is Ms. Thang herself, Sharon Jones. The DK's are her band as well, and I saw them perform at the Warfield - two words = so fly. If you watch any of the videos I have included, please watch this one in its entirety, she deserves it.


No comments: