17 September 2009

SIEMPRE TENGO HAMBRE.

******update******



I am always hungry.


...TIME MACHINE

I'm about ten years old, and I find myself up late in the night. If I recall correctly I just got back from some excursion. I meet my mom in the kitchen, the house is asleep, but we decide on a midnight snack. She hands me the wooden spoon and has an array of bowls lining the stove, each filled with a different item. We are making a midnight omelet. I think this is the first time that I acknowledged my love for food/cooking/eating. Each ingredient was thoughtfully diced/chopped/grated, and then placed into it's own bowl, and thus, given its own spot light.

The time came, the eggs were quickly whisked with a fork and thrown into the pan, forming a silky blanket, and one by one my mother told me to dump each bowl. What a rush! What a delicious rush!

I find myself with the same love and affection for preparation as I did in that very moment. Today, it probably takes me an hour to prepare any sort of meal, or half an hour for a salad. My sloth like approach to cooking is due to my love affair with food, it's almost therapeutic for me.

On the other side of the coin, I feel that regional culture is also found in food. I am half Mexican, and although my upbringing lacked a Mexican influence (religion, language), there was always some authentic comida mexicana. And when I travel, I strive to find the regional cuisine, untainted by foreign palettes. My stomach might not be thankful, but my soul always is.

Here are a few pictures of my life in food....

Michelle workin it @ work.


Maple Bacon Donut and Gibraltar @Dynamo


HOMEMADE (!!) potstickers, yayyy.


My breakfast at Art's Cafe. Yay!



OJ, from 3+ countries? Steak and a Martini @ Izzy's.


Margarita's, the only tasty thing at Puerto Allegre



Cupcakes from Cara's




Clown egg!


Ever wonder what a million pounds of Walnuts looks like?



Meet Indio: he's a Rottweiler, and likes to eat beef. He lives in Argentina.


Roasting squash and eggplant, before/after.



Peanut butter and curry ice cream. OMG.


$EBO, before Bourdain.


Pizzetta goodness, and Modelo goodness.

No comments: