27 October 2009

Diary of a Juera: Palenque.

My nerves woke me up yesterday, first at 4am, then again at 6:30, my alarm being set for 6:33am. Maybe it was because I was about to embark on a six hour bus ride, or maybe I thought my alarm would fail and I would miss my bus. I arrived at the bus terminal and realized that day light savings time had kicked in, and was an hour early (that has NEVER happened, ask Stella). I beat my abuelita to the terminal, so I waited for her to set up and then enjoied some of her arroz con leche - which always cures a cold morning.

Nothin like enjoying the Mexian country side while the other passengers watch "Bambi II" (en español) followed by "Because of Us" starring Dianne Keaton and Mandy Moore (also en español). Obviously two classics.

I arrived to Palenque at 1pm and had the opposite experience than my arrival to San Cristobal - its fuckin hot! Palenque is a small town that exists only for tourists who venture the ruins, and it shows. El Centro de Palenque looks like an LA sound stage. I felt instantly uneasy. This tension intensified when I reached my room.

Ulitmatley, I checked out the ruins and bought a bus ticket for 11pm back to San Cristobal. Now I sit here, the rain outside, and Im am just happy to be out of the fucking jungle.

Palenque is a town where geckos, or lizards, or whatever, live strong. You know, the cold blooded thing that people got tattoes of in the 1990´s? I feel much better sitting in San Cristobal, where people listen to the Mexican version of the Titanic song.

Conclustion: light weight divas do not belong in the jungle. 86 Palenque forever!

No comments: