19 January 2009

Eco Holler of the Day: Tom Colicchio





Top Chef is one of my favorite show's, and is one of the more respected culinary programs.
The last couple show's Tom Colicchio, the resident diva: Chef/Restarauneur/Judge of the show, has brought an eco-edge his judgements of the contestants:
Last week he critisized a contestant for overcooking a fish, explaining when the fish gives up his life it should be honored.

His point being: the fish is already dead, why kill it again by overcooking it? Then you're left with a fish that is dead and inedible. I absolutely adored his philosophy, it being the guidelines of my consumption patters as well. I realized that I prefer to not be vegetarian, but I am very aware that meat int he super market used to be alive and kicking. The same can be said for vegetables - which is why it is an ULTRA pet peeve of mine when any veggie is overcooked; you're just killin it! And I, like Tom, do not approve.
_____________________________

This week's episode was another dose of Tom's eco-culinary conscious was served.
Chef's were taken to a farm and forced to interact with the protein they were assigned to cook: chicken, lamb, and pig. People sometimes forget that meat used to be alive - *flashback-- turkey at thanksgiving--*. The chef's were expected to cook simply, and allow the natural flavors of the fresh-farm-ingredients to shine through.
Ultimately, Tom was appalled, again, by some of the results. Tom questioned the LAMB team why they butchered the pieces of meat even further; claiming that meat left on the bone both tastes better while honoring the natural form of the animal.

I might bring this up in my Food and Agriculture class this semester. holler


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlJmMZ1liQ

No comments: