21 January 2009

Inauguration Status.

Not surprising, this inauguration stopped the nation in its footsteps. Schools were paused, coffee shops empty, and the internet was a buzz; America was ready to embrace the induction of our 44th president. The event was drawn out and star studded. Upon watching the event, my companion and I realized: this was the blackest inauguration, ever!

Some highlights:
  1. The Hat I was already excited to see Aretha, and I began to anticipate what she'd wear, thinking it would be some gown with a bedazzled boatneck coller. When she first turned the corner, I lost my breath, and my phone began to vibrate with multiple text's; the hat had a bow. AND, that bow was encrusted with Swarovski crystals. Diva-status, hellloooooo. Thanks Aretha for keepin it real, keepin it classy, and keepin it Diva - even at the Mall.
  2. The Dress to Impress Michelle has mos def emerged as a fashion icon, the first time for a first lady since Jackie Kennedy. The rumor mills were on overtime, and I was concerned, worried, and excited at the idea of what Michelle would bust out in. Not to my surprise, she wore gold. Well it was more of a lemongrass yellow, but that thing sure did sparkle. Go big or go home! I'm pretty sure her critiera for the dress was "what color would no one dare wear to an inaugeration?"
  3. THe Kids Sasha and Malia will be the two to watch during these 4 years. If Obama is elected again, it will be interesting to watch how Malia transitions into adolescence. They were dressed in J.Crew outfits - solidifying why the Obamas are so relateable, being dressed in the thread of the common folk.
  4. The Dance I watched Michelle and Barack dance to the tunes of Beyonce on the interet. Obama greeted the audience of the Neighborhood Ball with "How good does my wife look?" Geez Barack, you are killin it with the ladies right now. It was amazing to watch these two who still look whole hardedly in love. Very inspiring.
  5. The Future Obama wasted no time, by signing major pieces of legislation within the first 100 hours in office. Impressive.

In the words of Jay-Z: My president is black, but his house is all white.

No comments: