21 January 2009

PIKAPIKA

Picture it:
Red carpet rolled out when I arrive, pictures flashing, and frequent buyer card filled up. Just a normal day when MellyG arrives at PikaPika.


Damn. I'm pretty sure everyone knew that I liked this, but I wasn't aware that everyone in Japan liked it too! Purikura is in the Chronicle today, showcasing how this Japanese pass time is gaining popularity in the US. Purikura, dubbed 'the art of making' photo's,' has an enchanting effect on anyone who participates. The Chronicle spotlights SF's only purikura outlet in the city: PikaPika, which has become my second home of sorts. I guess you could say i'm an expert at it, besides the fact that the machines only speak Japanese. There are about 7 machines in PikaPika, all performing different touches to the photo's. Ryan Kimura opened PikaPika with his parents in 2006 after he returned from Japan. He went to Japan to teach english after graduating from Cal in 2004 with a deree in Asian American studies and feeling uncertain about what he would do with it. In Japan, he was introduced to purikura and decided to bring it to the States. The article points out how its a 'girl thing' and that one of the busiest days at PikaPika is Valentines day.

Now, I'm okay with sharing people, but if I have to sift my way throuh Lick Wilmerding students and Marina breezies at PikaPika as a result of this article, I'm gonna be pissed!

Here are some snapshots of my past PikaPika experiences:





http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/01/23/BA8O155FQ5.DTL&o=3

No comments: