27 January 2009

Bitches be gettin in my way.

Site: Creative Arts Building, SFSU.
Situation: Power-walk to 19th and Holloway.

I am power-walking my butt up that slight incline to the "M" stop and I see the train is waiting at the red light. I don't think I'm going to make it, but the lights are timed so long, that I end up at 19th Ave just as the train begins to cross. The doors are staying open longer than normal, but no one runs, because they don't want to be that person that hustles, only to be rewarded by the doors dingIng in your face and closing before you squeeze through.

I'm supposed to meet Stella at the Ferry Building to have lunch, and I was running late because I decided to sit in on a "Rock and Roll in the 1960's" class. Fuck it. I start to run, SF style - an art I learned in the 8th grade, in which you are in fact moving faster than walking, not as fast as running, but indeed looks like you're running.

I'm run the corner and enter the home stretch, making my way up the ramp, but I all of a sudden get caught in this web of people clogging the rampway, and I run all the way up to the door, when it ding's in my face and closes - byebye M-Inbound.

I'm pissed - I let out a grunt, fix my bangs, and take a seat. Now, I hate running for buses. I refused to do so for much of high school, but conceded during my attendance at City College, due to being missing bus rides to school by literally a few seconds. I look back at the ramp to see who was in my way, and it was Muni 'cops' checking proof of payment. I march on over, slight fire in my eyes.

The officers are standing on the sides of the ramp, one writing a ticket for some blonde without a transfer.

MG: Is there any way you could do this without blocking the walkway, so people can make their bus?
MUNI 1: Oh yeah, sorry..... (blahblahblah)
MUNI 2: Well they should know not to get in your way, because we have officers at the other end of the platform telling people to take out their transfers etc.
MG: Well if you could stay on one side of the ramp, so homegirl can make her train that would be helpful, because I literally missed the M by 5 seconds.
(Blonde girl getting written up chuckles)
MUNI 2: Well we kind of do that on purpose, so that no one can get bye, do you understand?
MG: No. I have a fastpass, I'm not hating on you guys doing your job, but I would appreciate if you could do so without being so in the way.
MUNI 2: Point taken.
MG: Thanks!


I know I sound uber bitchy, but I wasn't! I was just trying to reason with them, because their system wasn't very effective, but rather very disruptive. I totally understand their job, and at a Land Use/Urban Planning perspective, my professor stated how Proof of Payment is the most effective way of encouraging payment from riders. In any event, they needed to move! Update on this later. . .

1 comment:

Julian, the Desaparecido said...

Haha, how did I bullshit my way out of a ticket when I was in San Francisco? I had spent my last cash on a Perrier and was getting on the train sneak-style and got caught, haha.

I told the money if they had ATMs on the MUNI I would have been okay, being that I had no cash and only a card. Then I started chopping it up with her in EspaƱol and she let me go, saying I was a good kid. God, I love latinas.